Courgette and Bacon Quiche
85 g lean bacon, chopped (1/3 of a 250 g packet)
500 ml grated courgettes / baby marrows (2 c)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 wrap or tortilla flat bread – wheat free for those sensitive to wheat
3 extra large eggs
100 ml skim milk (2/5 c)
150 ml plain, medium fat yoghurt (3/5 c)
freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 ml mustard powder (½ t)
125 ml Mozzarella cheese, grated (½ c)
5 ml Parmesan cheese, grated (1 t)
- Place the chopped bacon in a dry frying pan, add 4 T water and cook on low for 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion and gently fry, stirring frequently until the onion is transparent.
- Add the grated courgettes and cook a further 5 minutes.
- Spray a quiche dish with non-stick cooking aerosol and place the wrap at the bottom of the dish.
- Spread the cooked bacon, onion and courgettes evenly over the wrap.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Beat the eggs, milk and yoghurt.
- Add the mustard powder.
- Pour evenly over the filling on the wrap.
- Sprinkle with the cheeses.
- Bake at 180° C for 25 – 30 minutes until the filling is firm.
- Serve with a large mixed salad to increase the fibre content, and make a complete and balanced meal.
- NUTRIENTS PER SERVING (240 g)
Energy: 1004 KJ
Protein: 16.2 g
Carbohydrate: 14.6 g
Total sugars: 5.6 g
Added sugar: 0 g
Fat: 13.0 g
Saturated fat: 5.7 g
Fibre: 1.4 g
Sodium: 651 mg
ONE SERVING (240 g =1/4 quiche) is equivalent to 1 carbohydrate, 2 protein and ½ vegetable.