Beef and Butternut Casserole with Mushrooms and Tomato
A delicious one pot meal!
4 cloves garlic
2 rashers bacon, optional
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
10 ml olive oil
2 bay leaves
1 butternut (800 g)
250 g mushrooms, mixed are most delicious
410 g tinned chopped tomatoes (1 x 410 g tin)
150 ml red wine, optional
500 g beef goulash pieces, check for minimal visible fat.
8 black olives
2.5 ml salt & freshly ground black pepper (½ t)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC
- Peel the onion and cut into eighths. Trim, wash and slice the leek. Peel and slice the garlic.
- Heat a large pan or ovenproof casserole on medium heat.
- Finely slice the bacon. Pick the leaves off the rosemary sprig and chop finely.
- Pour the olive oil into the hot pan, add the sliced bacon, chopped rosemary and the bay leaves and gently fry, stirring regularly.
- Add the sliced garlic, chopped onion and leek and cook for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut the butternut into bite size cubes and add to the pan.
- Clean the mushrooms and cut off the stems. Add both the stems and whole mushroom tops to the pan.
- Add the meat cubes, pour over the wine and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes.
- Rinse the tomato tin out with quarter tin of water and add to the pan or casserole.
- De-stone the olives by cutting in half. Add to the casserole and mix in gently.
- Bring the casserole to a boil and then place in the pre-heated oven to bake for 45 mins, until thick and delicious.
- Serve on its’ own as a complete balanced meal.
- NUTRIENTS PER SERVING (600 g)
Energy: 1918 kJ
Protein: 30.3 g
Carbohydrates: 31.3 g
Total sugars: 4.5 g
Added sugar: 0.0 g
Total Fat: 18.5 g
Saturated fat: 7.7 g
Fibre: 7.7 g
Sodium: 682 mg
One serving is equivalent to 1 carbohydrate, 4 protein and 4 vegetables