Barely must be one of the MOST UNDERUTILIZED grains that you get. Most people just chuck it into a soup but here is a great recipe which allows you to make fantastic salads using barley as a source of HEALTHY CARBS and GREAT SOURCE of FIBER!
Curried peach and bare salad
Adapted from: Eating for Sustained Energy
500 mL boiling water
Pinch of salt
250 mL raw pearled barely
1 tin of peach slimes canned in fruit juice
1 pepper (green, red or yellow)
1 onion (peeled and finely diced)
Small packet of baby spinach
60 g Danish feta
20 mL reduced fat salad dressing
5 mL curry powder
2.5 mL turmeric
30 mL lemon juice
Ground black pepper to taste
- Pour the boiling water into a saucepan and add a pinch of salt to the barley. Cook until soft (about 45 min)
- Drain the canned peaches and chop into small pieces
- Chop the green pepper and onion
- Dice the baby spinach (optional: microwave for 1 minute)
- Place the boiled barely into a salad bowl – allow to cool (for fast cooling – place in freezer for 5 min)
- Add the chopped peaches, green pepper, onion and baby spinach (optional: add Rosa tomatoes) to the salad bowl once barely has cooled.
- Crumble the feta into a bowl, add the reduced fat salad dressing, curry powder, turmeric, lemon juice and mix well
- Add the feta and dressing mixture to the barely mixture
- Store in fridge or cooler bag until ready to consume – leaving this salad to stand for an hour or two will further develop the flavours.
ENJOY! REMEMBER…. Love Food. Eat Smart. Love Life.