It can be difficult to eat healthy during Easter time. So many temptations and soon your weight loss goals may not seem as important to you.. BUT we all know what happens next. You give in, have that chocolate egg and instantly you feel guilty about it. This is a vicious cycle that can go on the whole weekend.
Here are some tips to help you get through to the weekend
1) Allow yourself a treat. All healthy eating plans do allow for treats. Taking the guilt away by allowing yourself a treat can really affect the way you eat for the rest of the weekend. It is often the guilt that is our worst enemy..
2) Keep your eating routine. Don’t skip meals. Skipping meals can make you overeat at other meals
3) Always have water handy – make sure you drink at least 2 L per day
4) Practice mindful eating – really enjoy and savour your food and be aware of how it tastes, the textures and flavours!
5) Try include more healthy treats – see the recipe below as an example
Ginger Oat Squares
Why not enjoy these ginger oat squares instead of too many Easter Eggs! These squares are high in fiber and contain less sugar than many chocolates and candied eggs.
The recipe makes makes 15 squares and has been adapted from the eating for sustained energy recipe books.
125 mL cake flour
5 mL bicarbonate of soda
5 mL cream of tartar
60 mL soft lite margarine
75 mL brown sugar OR sugalite
250 mL oat bran
125 mL Jungle oats
15 mL ground ginger
60 mL fat free plain yoghurt
Optional: chopped nuts and pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C
- Sift together the flour, bicarb and cream of tartar. Set aside
- In another bowl, cream the soft marg with the sugar and oat bran
- Add the oats, flour mixture and giner, alternating with the yoghurt, and mix to form a stiff dough
- Spoon the dough into a greased (cook n spray) baking dish
- Dip your fingertips into some flour and gently press downt he dough until the pan is evently covered with cookie dough to a depth of 5 mm
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until risen and golden down
- Cut into 15 squares and cool in the dish
Enjoy! Happy Easter Everyone!