Without a doubt, this is one of my favourite recipes. Why you ask? Well, because it has so many uses 🙂
You can either use it for:
1) Protein source at dinner, served with sundried tomato flavoured couscous and steamed crisp fine green beans
2) Lunch box idea (who needs to buy those expensive chicken fillets they sell for an arm and a leg, rather make your own on a Sunday in preparation for the week)
3) Toppings for sandwiches – for your partner and kids, use with lemon juice and a little light mayonnaise and plain yoghurt
Give this recipe a go, really tasty and so quick and easy!
Grilled Moroccan Chicken
Adapted from the Eating for Sustained Energy Recipe Book Series
10 mL (2 tsp) extra virgin olive oil
5 mL (1 tsp) origanum
2 mL ( ½ tsp) mixed spice
2 mL ( ½ tsp) ground cumin
2 mL ( ½ tsp) ground cloves
5 mL (1 tsp) shredded/ minced garlic – peeled and crushed if fresh
Pinch of salt (use sparingly)
Black ground pepper to taste
30 mL (2 Tbsp) freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 medium sized skinless chicken breasts
125 mL ( ½ cup) couscous (durum preferably)
4 Peppadews, finely chopped (2 g)
60 mL (4 Tbsp) mint leaves, finely chopped
- Preheat your oven on the grill setting.
- Combine the oil, origanum, all spice, cumin, cloves, garlic and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Place the chicken breast on your roasting/ baking tray and apply the marinade evenly over both sides of the chicken breast. The best way to do this is to apply the marinade with a silicon brush.
- Place your roasting/ baking tray in the oven and grill for about 15-20 minutes, turning twice until the juices run clear. Should there be left over marinade, you may baste again half way during cooking process.
- Remove from the grill and keep warm.
- Meanwhile prepare the couscous – follow packet instructions, ensure you do not use a whole stock cube – always use half of what you usually use. For flavouring use lemon juice, vinegar, herbs and spices instead.
- Mix the chopped peppadews and mint to the couscous.
- Serve the couscous on a plate with the chicken placed over it. For flavour add lemon juice and black pepper. For side dishes, include tossed salad or two cooked vegetables.
REMEMBER: Love Food. Eat Smart. Love Life.