Catherine (Cath) Day, RD (SA) SACLC
I am a farmer’s daughter from the Eastern Cape living in the City! I believe in sustainability and I offer lifestyle advice for people who believe life should be awesome!
I am a registered dietitian and certified lactation consultant based in the Southern Suburbs of Cape Town in Constantia. I provide scientifically sound and individualized nutrition advice and recommendations to my clients/ patients. Let me help you make lifestyle changes to adopt for the long term in order to achieve your health and weight loss goals. This is only truly possible if the recommendations given to you fit into your life and into your family – this is something I am to achieve with every client/ patient.
Why me? My experience..
I am a former lecturer from the Division of Human Nutrition, Department of Biology at the University of Cape Town. I have a burning passion for teaching my clients/ patients about nutrition and lifestyle. My approach to nutrition is simple but requires dedication – I help you to find solutions that will suit your lifestyle. I focus on helping you make healthy meal choices which are delicious. And I work with the mind when it comes to healthy living. This allows me to help you focus on a holistic approach to health.
I have been in private practice since 2012, first starting in Tokai and then moving offices in 2013 to Alphen House, Constantia.
I write for the media about all things nutrition, lifestyle, breastfeeding and infant nutrition. I also love being involved in corporate wellness days by organizing healthy food displays, smoothie and lunchbox demonstrations as well as professional presentations on healthy eating and living.
I also assist mothers with breastfeeding problems because for most mothers it is not as easy as it seems and at times – problems do crop up. Getting support and help during these times is so important – don’t struggle – it is already difficult being a mother.
My other loves and passions in life (other than nutrition)
My husband, my daughter , my dachshunds (Mango and Litchi). I am an avid foodie (see my Instagram page), squash player, runner and nature lover! I am also a true farm girl at heart as I live in the city but on a farm which prides itself as being a WWF partner.
My motto: Love Food. Eat Smart. Love life.
I have the following qualifications from reputable universities in South Africa:
- BSc Human Life Sciences – University of Stellenbosch
- BSc (Med)(Hons) Medical Physiology – University of Stellenbosch – Cum Laude
- BSc (Med)(Hons) Nutrition & Dietetics – University of Cape Town
- Postgraduate diploma in South African Lactation Consultancy – University of Witwatersrand
I belong to the following professional boards and associations:
- Health Professionals Council (DT0038369)
- Board of Health Care Funders (0840000449008)
- Association of Dietetics South Africa – Executive Board Portfolio Holder: Communications 2015-2017
- Association of Dietetics South Africa Board Western Cape Branch Committee: Chairlady: 2015-2016
Additional work experience:
- Lecturer at the University of Cape Town: Division of Human Nutrition: Nutrition Science, Breastfeeding, Infancy Nutrition, Childhood Nutrition and Clinical Nutrition (Weight management, Lower GIT issues, Rheumatic Disease, Food intolerance)
- Research: Fetal Alcohol Syndrome – Child development (University of Cape Town)
- Early childhood development and nutrition for childhood training
- Treating the Emotional Eater Foundation Course (Module 1 & 2) in 2013
- Treating the Emotional Eater Course (Module 3 & 4) in 2014
Tessa Hille, RD (SA)
Tessa’s love and passion for people, health and food led her to a career in Nutrition and Dietetics.
She loves interacting with people, and assisting individuals with making healthier lifestyle changes. Tessa believes that health is all about finding the balance – whether it is in your daily routine or on your plate. Her goal is to empower individuals by providing the tools and knowledge to make both mindful and healthier choices in everyday life. Some of her special interests are weight management, lifestyle diseases as well as digestive and gut health. Additionally, she has ongoing work experience in oncology. More recently, Tessa has become more and more passionate about being plant – focused; where she really wants to inspire her clients to get more plant foods onto their plates.
Outside the practice, Tessa is full of energy and one can always find her either running, hiking in the mountains or experimenting with new recipes and cooking up a storm in the kitchen!
B.Sc in Human Physiology and Biochemistry (UCT)
B.Sc (Med) (Hons) Nutrition and Dietetics (UCT)
Scientific Journal article published
- Harbron J, Booley S, Najaar B, Day CE. Responsive feeding: establishing healthy eating behavior early on in life. S Afr J Clin Nutr 2013; 26(3)
- Hectic 9 TV Show – Food safety & Sugar and Health (aired November 2014 on SABC 2)
- Expresso TV Show – Competitive Eating (aired March 2015 on SABC 3)
- Expresso TV Show – Breastfeeding in the work place (aired August 2015 on SABC 3)
- Special Assignment – Sugar and obesity (aired January 2015 on SABC 3)
Radio talk shows
- Cape Talk with Pippa Hudson (aired November 2015)
- Voice of the Cape with Yusuf Mallie (aired December 2015)
- SAFM with Ike (aired February 2016)
Magazine Articles Published
- Clicks online magazine – starting solids Published September 2016
- Woman’s Health Magazine – Juicing Published September 2015
- Woman’s Health Magazine – Is bread the devil? Published August 2015
- Good House Keeping – Sugars found in fruits. Published July 2015
- Trail Magazine – Statement provided on Glycaemic Index and Energy in 2014
- Weigh less internet article – Contributor on High Protein and High Fat Diet in 2014
- YOU Magazine – Alcohol and Portion Size contributing Author in 2014
- Woman’s Health Magazine – Food Synergy. Published in August 2013
- Foschini X Magazine – Food Labels, Published in 2012
- Jump Magazine – Caution with your portion, Published with Western Cape ADSA Branch in 2013