Super salads, how to make salads more interesting?
Salads are great – but at a stage they can become BORING.. instead of reverting to poorer choices… rather make them more interesting..Salads should be more than just BUNNY food.. add some goodness to your next salad.
For a visual – see the salad I made below. It looks GREAT, doesn’t it!
- Sweet peppers
- Basil leaves (fresh)
- Roasted chickpeas (see recipe at www.catherineday.co.za/roastchickpeas)
Here are some more ideas for a super salad…
Add a combination/ some or one of the following to make your salad a gourmet one! Keep mixing it up so that salads are something to look forward to and not just rabbit food!
- Grilled brinjal/ egg plant
- Sprinkle with olive oil, salt, pepper & dried herbs
- Boiled egg (6 min = soft, 8 min = medium, 10 min = hard)
- Roasted butternut, do this in the microwave to save TIME (high for 4-5 min), add cinnamon for additional flavour if required
- Baby potatoes (skin intact = MORE FIBER)
- Melba toast, break into pieces (healthier version of croutons)
- Tinned sardines (water, PnP no name) for ADDED omega-3!
- Reduced fat or weigh less bacon
- Dried crisp onion shavings (new woolies product!)
DID YOU KNOW: Tinned tuna = hardly any omega-3 🙁 so it must be sardines/ pilchards – if you don’t enjoy the fishy-ness = ADD lots of lemon juice!
And lastly, to help you make super salads, here is a shopping list to make life easier! Choose good and healthy choices while shopping…
- English spinach
- Sweet peppers
- Melba toast
- Baby corn
- Sundried tomato
- PnP mixed roasted seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Eggplant/ brinjal
- Baby potatoes
- Long-stemmed broccoli
- Sugar snap peas
- Frozen peas/ corn
- Sardines (tinned)
- FF Danish Feta
Remember: Love food. Eat smart. Love life.