Cath Day is a Registered Dietitian
She offers expert nutrition advice and support from Alphen House in Constantia, Southern Suburbs, Cape Town. Alphen House is a medical practice which can offer you a range of medical services (GP, physiotherapists, dietitian, psychologist and podiatrist). Yoga, Pilates and Hydrotherapy classes are also offered at Alphen House. We can work as a team to ensure your well-being.
Cath Day, RD (SA) SACLC has a special interest in the following:
- Healthy weight management (weight loss and weight gain)
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and FODMAPs for IBS
- Rheumatic Diseases (gout and rheumatoid arthritis)
- Cardiovascular Health (high cholesterol, blood pressure etc.)
- Maternal (pregnancy) Nutrition
- Breastfeeding Management and Support
- Infancy Nutrition (introduction of complementary (weaning) foods)
Ever wondered what dietitians do and how they qualify?
Registered Dietitians are food and nutrition experts who have met the following criteria to earn the RD (registered dietitian) credential:
- Completed a minimum of a four year bachelor’s degree at nationally/ internationally accredited university
- The four year degree may include the following subjects and majors
- Nutrition sciences (biochemistry)
- Clinical Nutrition
- Community Nutrition
- Food Service Management
- Research theory/ biostatistics with an honours level dissertation/ thesis
- Food science
- The four year degree also includes an internship (last year of study) blocks covering the clinical nutrition, community nutrition and food service management
- Completed a community service year after the four year bachelor’s degree
- Compulsory year for all allied health care professionals as per legislation (DoH and HPCSA)
- Completed continuing professional educational requirements to maintain registration.
- Within the profession there is a constant learning of skills and application of knowledge, allowing Dietitians to establish and implement the guidelines of maintaining healthy nutritional praises for all individuals.
Therefore registered dietitians are able to provide expert nutrition advice.