Catherine Day Dietetics offers healthy eating tips for people who believe life should be awesome!
Cath Day provides sound and individualized nutrition advice to her clients and patients. She is a registered dietitian and certified lactation consultant based in the Southern Suburbs in Cape Town, Constantia.
She is also a lecturer at the Division of Human Nutrition, Department of Biology at the University of Cape Town. She has a passion for teaching her students and most of all her clients about nutrition. Her approach to nutrition is simple. She helps her clients with make healthy meal choices and works with the mind when it comes to healthy living. This allows her to focus on a holistic approach to health.
Cath’s motto: Love Food. Eat Smart. Love life.
Cath believes that breastfeeding your little one is giving them the best start to life. She assists mothers with breastfeeding problems.
Cath also writes for the media about all things nutrition, breastfeeding and infant nutrition. She also loves to be involved in corporate wellness days by organizing healthy food displays, smoothie and lunchbox demonstrations as well as professional presentations on healthy eating and living.
Cath’s loves (other than nutrition) = my husband, my daughter, my daxies and I am an avid foodie, squash player and nature lover!
Catherine Day Qualifications
Catherine Day has the following qualifications from reputable universities in South Africa:
- BSc Human Life Sciences – University of Stellenbosch
- BSc (Med)(Hons) Medical Physiology – University of Stellenbosch – Cum Laude
- BSc (Med)(Hons) Nutrition & Dietetics – University of Cape Town
- Postgraduate diploma in South African Lactation Consultancy – University of Witwatersrand
Catherine Day belongs to the following professional boards and associations:
- Health Professionals Council (DT0038369)
- Board of Health Care Funders (0840000449008)
- Association of Dietetics South Africa – Executive Board Portfolio Holder: Communications 2015-2017
- Association of Dietetics South Africa Board Western Cape Branch Committee: Chairlady: 2015-2016
Additional work experience:
- Lecturer at the University of Cape Town: Division of Human Nutrition: Nutrition Science, Breastfeeding, Infancy Nutrition, Childhood Nutrition and Clinical Nutrition (Weight management, Lower GIT issues, Rheumatic Disease, Food intolerance)
- Research: Fetal Alcohol Syndrome – Child development (University of Cape Town)
- Early childhood development and nutrition for childhood training
- Treating the Emotional Eater Foundation Course (Module 1 & 2) in 2013
- Treating the Emotional Eater Course (Module 3 & 4) in 2014
Scientific Journal article published
- Harbron J, Booley S, Najaar B, Day CE. Responsive feeding: establishing healthy eating behavior early on in life. S Afr J Clin Nutr 2013; 26(3)
- Hectic 9 TV Show – Food safety & Sugar and Health (aired November 2014 on SABC 2)
- Expresso TV Show – Competitive Eating (aired March 2015 on SABC 3)
- Expresso TV Show – Breastfeeding in the work place (aired August 2015 on SABC 3)
- Special Assignment – Sugar and obesity (aired January 2015 on SABC 3)
Radio talk shows
- Cape Talk with Pippa Hudson (aired November 2015)
- Voice of the Cape with Yusuf Mallie (aired December 2015)
- SAFM with Ike (aired February 2016)
Magazine Articles Published
- Clicks online magazine – starting solids Published September 2016
- Woman’s Health Magazine – Juicing Published September 2015
- Woman’s Health Magazine – Is bread the devil? Published August 2015
- Good House Keeping – Sugars found in fruits. Published July 2015
- Trail Magazine – Statement provided on Glycaemic Index and Energy in 2014
- Weigh less internet article – Contributor on High Protein and High Fat Diet in 2014
- YOU Magazine – Alcohol and Portion Size contributing Author in 2014
- Woman’s Health Magazine – Food Synergy. Published in August 2013
- Foschini X Magazine – Food Labels, Published in 2012
- Jump Magazine – Caution with your portion, Published with Western Cape ADSA Branch in 2013